We at Witty Works take data privacy very seriously. We never want to become a tech company that longs for users’ data for the pure goal of profits. We want to use data to make the product better and to improve our users’ insights in how to become more inclusive. In order to have as much impact as possible with inclusive language in the world we need certain data from users. When collecting data we have the following principles:
- We only collect data that can be directly used to improve the product experience. We use this data to improve our language models.
- We don’t sell your data.
- We take steps to ensure that your personal information is treated securely.
In this policy, “Witty” refers to the products and services that we offer with the browser extension that can be downloaded on different web stores (“Service” or “Services”). “We” refers to the team that is behind Witty, e.g. Witty Works Ltd.
What information does Witty collect?
Witty collects information from the point when users install the extension from any web store and use it thereafter on their web-browser. Data collection is stopped when users uninstall the extension. Information may also be collected if they respond to a survey, or fill out a form within the browser extension’s use.
- On installation, we generate a unique random identifier for the given device without using any user identifiable information.
- Whenever we log information, to improve the algorithm, we store the unique random identifier or the user identifier if the user has logged in. Furthermore, we store the date and time and non-identifiable information about the browser (ie. browser type, version, operating system).
- We also store access logs separately from other data which does include the IP address of the browser machine, but those are purged after 2 weeks and we do not use this data for machine learning purposes.
- We collect general usage statistics (f.e. number of characters/words, frequency of use, number of words highlighted, etc.) as well as user preferences, so that we can estimate how and how much Witty is used and what value it brings to our users.
- If users submit feedback (for example in response to a survey from us, or fill in a feedback form), data is stored permanently so that we can use the feedback to improve the product.
When an alternative wording is chosen, we log the original highlighted text and the chosen alternative, so that we can for example optimize the order of alternatives. If users did not disable it in the preferences, we also store 100 characters before and after the alternative, so that we can better optimize the alternatives based on context.
- If users explicitly choose to ignore a suggestion and they did not disable it in the preferences, we also store 100 characters before and after the ignored suggestion, so that we can better optimize the false positive detection based on context.
- When registering to create an account personal identifiable information like name and email are collected in order to address them more personally, identify which organization they belong to and to send product updates if they opt in.
Witty may collect technical and related information, including technical information about users devices, systems and application software that is gathered to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services.
Witty may collect demographic information, including but not limited to gender, age, geographical location.
Users can use Single-Sign-On solutions of third parties. Be aware that that convenience also results in letting such third parties know about users’ behaviour. As an alternative users can create their own credentials for Witty.
Which sub processors does Witty work with?
Witty works with the following sub processors to make its service more efficient and effective:
- Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
- Hubspot as CRM to send mailings, product updates or to make surveys and as chat provider
- Leadjet for Lead Management
- Microsoft AppSource Marketplace to purchase a paid license
- Microsoft Azure to host our application
- Productboard to collect feedback and link it to engineering efforts
- Slack to coordinate support and engineering efforts
- Hotjar to read interaction on the interface
What does Witty use users’ information for?Any of the information Witty collects from users may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize user experience (information helps to better respond to individual needs)
- To improve Witty’s functionalities and user value.
- To improve user service (the collected data helps to more effectively respond to user service requests and support needs)
User information, whether public or private, will NOT be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without the user’s consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested or if requested by Swiss law.
The email address users provide may be used to send information and updates pertaining to their usage or subscription opt in based in accordance with laws like GDPR.
Note: If at any time users would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each mailing.
How does Witty handle users data?
Witty uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology when transferring data. We use servers hosted in the EU. For our sub processors we also where possible use EU data residency or at the very least ensure GDRP compliance.
How do we protect your data?
We are working on getting ISO 27001 certified in Q1 2022. For this we are already building and applying related processes that currently protect your data. We also evaluate partners based on their certification and security track record.
These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on Witty’s behalf except to help conduct and improve the Witty’s functionalities.
Cookies will be set automatically, unless the user rejects them in the cookie consent form.
Note: Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to a person’s computer’s hard drive through the Web browser (if the person allows) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize the browser and capture and remember certain information.
How long does Witty retain my personal information?
We retain personal information (including data we collect on behalf of our users) as long as is needed to provide you services, and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, establish legal defenses, conduct audits, pursue legitimate business purposes, enforce our agreements, or to comply with applicable law.
As a European company we of course fully comply with Swiss and EU laws but also with the spirit of data privacy.
Does Witty Works disclose any information to outside parties?
Witty Works does not sell or trade to outside parties users’ personally identifiable information. Witty Works may transfer data to trusted third parties (all listed above) who assist Witty Works in operating Witty, conducting business, or servicing the users, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. Witty Works may also release users’ information when it believes release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce its site policies, or protect its own or the rights of others, property or safety.
Third party links
Occasionally, at Witty Works’ discretion, it may include or offer third party products or services on Witty. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies and it is encouraged to carefully review them. Witty Works therefore has no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, Witty Works seeks to protect the integrity of Witty and welcomes any feedback about these sites.
The General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union
The EU General Data Security Protection Regulation (GDPR), which became enforceable on May 25th, 2018, protects the most basic right of privacy for European citizens.
The Regulation applies to all companies that process personal data about individuals in the European Union.
The goal of the GDPR is to strengthen the security and protection of personal data, which was, until now, protected by the EU Data Protection Directive (Directive 95/46/EC).
Witty supports the GDPR and its services will comply within its legal boundaries.
If users are citizens of a EU-country, they are entitled to the data protection rights below. We extend these rights to anyone since we believe in the EU policy of data protection.
- access and update personal information
- request deletion of all personal information, as a part of the right-to-be-forgotten, including any data stored on servers. Please contact us at email@example.com if you want us to delete all your personal information.
- request to receive personal information in a readable format
- object to the processing of personal information and inform Witty Works to restrict or request portability of personal data.
- complain to the data protection authority about the data Witty collects.
- exercise these rights by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- user consent
This policy was last modified on 5 November, 2021.
For immediate help in a serious case of urgency, please call us at: +41 44 291 00 22.